The nonprofit organization Food, Inc, shared this research on the commercial processed food that contains the most trans fats. Recall that trans fats are the fatty acids that increase the risk of coronary artery disease by raising levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol and lowering levels of good (HDL) cholesterol. We don’t want this stuff in our diets or in our bodies. What does that say about purchasing any of these foods?
These foods rank among the worst offenders for high levels of trans fats. Shame on these companies for selling such garbage to unsuspecting consumers.
1. Celeste’s Pizza For One
2. Marie Callender’s American Pies
3. Pop Secret – Butter, Extra Butter, Homestyle, Old Fashioned Kettle Corn or 1 Step Chedder varieties
4. Utz Hulless Puff’n Corn
5. Jolly Time Jolly Time joins Utz and Pop Secret in the Trans Fat Hall of Shame. The Blast O Butter and Sassy Salsa varities each have 4 grams of trans fat per serving.
6. Pillsbury Grands! Biscuits Southern Style, Buttermilk, Butter Tastin’, and Reduced Fat Wheat varieties 7. Shore Lunch Creamy Potato Soup Mix
8. Aunt Jemima Biscuit Sandwiches
9. Betty Crocker Helper Complete Meals
10. Gardetto’s Roasted Garlic Rye Chips
Trans fats do their dirty work silently. We don’t realize that they are destroying our arteries because we don’t get sick—until much later in our lives. And then we are screwed. Isn’t it better simply to avoid eating such stuff, even if it tastes great? There are lots of alternatives that do not guarantee that they will clog your veins and make your old age a nightmare of surgeries.
Caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware!).